Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Good News, Bad News, Good News

Good news is that spring is here in the Northwest. That means rain with sun breaks.


The bad news is that the grass is growing really, really fast and if you don't stay on top of it, you have to ride the mower through a jungle of green. I've been working very hard on revisions and, I admit, my grass got pretty long. Then I couldn't get my mower started and it got longer. A friend came over and got it going, but then I couldn't get it into gear. The grass got longer. But today, I managed to get it started and get it into gear and off I went, mowing nearly a half acre of hidden obstacles in tall ground cover. If I wasn't running into a concealed fir branch, I was plowing through a mole hill. That is bad enough, but at the last moment, as I rode along the edge--the mower deck whirling and the engine booming--I saw the snake. I screamed, but it was too late.

Now I have about 30 pieces of snake all over the yard. It makes me almost hope there are crows around.

But the good news is that on my commute, I pulled into the driveway of this baby and learned she is two and a half weeks old, her name is Feather, she takes after her dad, and she is already learning to walk on a halter lead. Later I felt kind of bad because I never even asked the man his name. Just grilled him about the little, baby girl, took the picture and left. Am I lame, or what?

More good news is that the revisions are actually going pretty well. My critique group likes the results and I'm beginning to enjoy this round of revision.

Bad news is I'm not going to be posting much.

6 comments:

  1. UGH! Snakes. With you on the lawn thing. Gorgeous little filly! Much success on your revision! I'm feeling short and sweet tonight ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,

    You are always sweet. And those short sentences punch up the dialog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel about mowing. I'm dealing with the same thing. And hey, better to run over the snake than to have it crawl out from under the seat while you're sitting on it.

    Beautiful Feather. And you can always stop by at another date and ask the man his name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne,

    Oh my gosh. I'm going to approach my lawn mower very carefully from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad news is, I never post at all ....

    Good luck with your revisions, Melanie.

    Keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy,

    I miss your posts. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great fun. Really. I love them. Except from the bots that have found my blog. I'm enabling the word verification to block them. Sorry.