Saturday, June 11, 2011

Are they talking to me?

This week was the semi-annual donation drive for Portland's listener-supported classical music station. Now, I have to admit, I don't listen to the station all the time. Sometimes I listen to an "easy rock" station, and sometimes to NPR, and other times to the jazz station. Most of the time, I listen to my own CDs. So, when I picked my way through traffic and heard the person on the radio say "we need your donation," I didn't really pay that much attention. I just put on my blinker and eased into the other lane.

"We need your donation. Yours. I'm talking to you."

I pulled into the center divide lane, to make a left turn, and thought, "Yeah, sure. You mean me. Of all the people in the Portland Metro area, you mean me. Right. Uh huh."

"Pick up the phone and call us. Yes, you in the Subaru."

Huh?

My eyes widened and I glanced in my rear view mirror before making a sweep of all the cars around me. None of them said "Classical Music Station" on them, but they were obviously watching me, pointing at me, demanding I call. They knew I hadn't done so yet.

It was eerie.

Did I call? Um...no. They didn't say sky blue Subaru, right? Maybe in six months if they point me out again, maybe. Maybe. If you'd like to make a donation on my behalf, however, that would be a very nice thing to do. Go to allclassical.org. I appreciate it.

In the meantime, I've got to get all the weeds cut down and I need all my money to buy more string for my weed-eater. It is still a jungle in my yard.

6 comments:

  1. Portland. I'll be darned. That Dustbury dude sure gets around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles...I had to google Dustbury. Yes, that dude does get around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's say I have a reasonably good eye for blogfodder, having churned out so much of it over the years.

    (First word verification: "teflings." I don't know. I've never tefled.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny to read your post! I listen to 89.9 all the time...and I've never donated. But, yes, I do feel guilty about it, and I ALMOST made a donation last week during the pledge drive.... Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosanne,

    If you decide to next time, let me know. I'd like the opportunity to REALLY feel guilty that I didn't.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great fun. Really. I love them. Except from the bots that have found my blog. I'm enabling the word verification to block them. Sorry.