Monday, January 23, 2012

Isn't it pretty? Can we eat it?

The cats are curious, and hungry and they have no respect for nature.

A couple of years ago I had a sick 100 ft Douglas fir. I hired a guy to hack it down before it fell on my house, but asked him to leave 20 feet standing for wildlife. The guy left 40 feet. I guess I shouldn't complain, after all it is housing an entire ecosystem for even the tiniest wildlife. When the cats led me to the back window yesterday to point out our newest neighbor, I thought they were sweet. A beautiful Pileated Woodpecker was making his mark on the dead tree, and the three of us watched for a couple of minutes. But then I heard the cats doing the little clicking sound cats make when they want to pounce on their prey and eat it.

Good thing the window was closed.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you et the coolest birds in your garden :) Our English birds seem drab and boring in comparison. I have a giant of a fir tree in my garden. I know there are loads of things living in it, but I only ever see pigeons haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emailman,

    Ever since I noticed the tree was dying, I've been waiting and waiting for the woodpeckers to move in. Finally!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great fun. Really. I love them. Except from the bots that have found my blog. I'm enabling the word verification to block them. Sorry.