Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Stocking up on Livestock

Today I saw something that made me question everything. It is true, I used to be a city girl, but really, I think in the last ten years I've gained a lot of knowledge about living in the hills. I've taken Wildlife Steward classes, and watched a few documentaries about farms animals. I've learned that eggs don't grow on trees, and the milk you see in the store does not come from the Milkyway.

My commute to and from work is filled with wonder, especially in the spring when babies animals dot the countryside. Little lambs frolic amid the flock, adorable foals graze in fields, a red calf trots along the fence-line, and fawns quiver in the woods, waiting for their mothers to call them into the meadow. It is something I don't take for granted. Every morning and evening is filled with breathless anticipation and expectation as I zoom out into the wilderness of the Northwest.

But when I rolled to a stop in the double left turn lanes that take me out of town and into the country this afternoon, this is what I saw.


Do you suppose everything I see on my commute is no more than plastic or mechanical animals? Is the Pacific Northwest really a huge theme park? Am I paying for a season pass disguised as property taxes? Am I a featured attraction in a heavily-visited amusement land?

Am I Goofy?

2 comments:

  1. Or is someone trying to create a new species of a "Pushme-Pullyou"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,

    So, it may have been for a plastic prototype? That would make sense.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great fun. Really. I love them. Except from the bots that have found my blog. I'm enabling the word verification to block them. Sorry.