Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Dishes Can Wait

I've never been the very best housekeeper in the world. I used to have a cleaning service that came once a month. My daughter and I loved coming home on that day to find everything sparkling clean. It was my favorite day. But working full-time, taking care of a child or two, taking care of the shopping, cooking, cleaning, lawns, plants, gutters, decks, and running a child to this or that practice means not everything is going to get done. If it gets done, it might not be done well.

Now that my daughter is out on her own, I've given myself the excuse that I have a full-time job to pay the bills and a part-time job of writing. Once again, that doesn't leave a lot of time for housework. If I have an extra hour, I admit I use it for research or writing or pre-reading with Carol, my writing buddy.

I have the good fortune of living out in the country where no one is likely to drop-in (just passing through and thought I'd stop by). But in the back of my mind, the "what if" crops up. What if I were burglarized and the cops came to dust for prints and my dirty clothes were in two separate piles (whites and darks) on the floor of my bathroom? What if my stove blew up again and the appliance repairman had to come and the top was greasy? What if my water heater sprang a leak and a guy from work offered to come help me fix it and I hadn't vacuumed for a couple weeks?

I follow a young woman's blog in Canada and a "what if" happened to her. It is the stuff from which nightmares are made. Her story went from bad to worse to horrific. And it had tears rolling down my cheeks. From laughing. Not at her trauma, of course, but at her description of it. I recommend you read this one blog. Once you read it, however, you'll probably decide you'd better go do your dishes and wash your windows.

Here is the blog. She'd love a comment. Tell her you got the link from my blog. It will cheer the poor girl up.

http://singledatingmommy.blogspot.com/2009/09/day-in-life-of.html

I have to go now. I'm going to polish my silver.


10 comments:

  1. Truly a wonderful story - and an awful nightmare for singledatingmommy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I have to admit the picture above is not of my kitchen. I don't have that much counter space. But I do miss my housecleaning service. As soon as I win lotto, I'm getting another cleaning service going and a yard service. And a pool boy, although I don't have a pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! I'm glad you clarified that wasn't your kitchen. I was getting ready to call Adult Protective Services to make sure you haven't gone over the bend. Although, I guess a clean kitchen doesn't prove you haven't gone over the bend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so much closer to you after you posted a picture of your kitchen. I shall find one of mine, before it was cooked in. It never again looked the same...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, if I go around the bend, I'll reach back and drag you along with me. Don't think I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, it is not, not, not my kitchen. I mean, really, do you see a fire extinguisher in the picture? Is there a burned up toaster oven? Geepers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It'll be a short trip for both of us.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you soooo much for the plug!

    And p.s. you're way more organized than I am...putting your dirty clothes in 'darks' and 'whites' piles on the bathroom floor...brilliant! My piles are more chaotic...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Single Dating Mommy

    It is a pleasure having you visit my blog. You are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great fun. Really. I love them. Except from the bots that have found my blog. I'm enabling the word verification to block them. Sorry.